What is OLX?
OLX is the world's online marketplace for local buying, and selling, exchanging and communicating to other users.
Is OLX FREE?
Yes, OLX is 100% free!
Do I have to register to use OLX?
No. You can browse the site and post items without registration. Registration at OLX is FREE and the process is very simple:
- Click on "Register" button and you will be asked to provide your basic contact information.
- You are now registered at OLX!
- OLX will send a confirmation message with your login and password information to your email address.
Once you have an OLX account, you can manage your postings and personal information even easier through the 'My OLX' section of the site.
How do I find an item at OLX?
You can Browse listings when you're not sure what you're looking for, or when you simply want to explore the range of items on OLX or in a particular category. Click on Categories and Subcategories and if you find an item you're interested in, just click on the item title.
You can also Search for items when you are looking for a specific item that you can describe using a few words. In this case, simply go to the search box, enter a few words describing what you are looking for, select a category and click the "Search" magnifying glass. A search results page of OLX listings will be displayed. Review your search results pages and if you see something you're interested in, just click on the item title.
What is My OLX?
With My OLX, you can track and manage your OLX ads, personal account, information, messages, favorites and more from one single, secure location.
How do I post an item at OLX?
- Click on the "Post a Free Classified Ad" button.
- If you don't have an account and don't want to register yet, just choose a category, and you are ready to post your classified ad. You can also register for an OLX account by providing your basic contact information. You will then be asked to upload photos, provide an title as well as a description for your ad.
- Immediately after this very fast and simple registration process is complete you are ready to post.
- If you already have an OLX account, simply login and follow the process.
- Posting at OLX is FREE.
How do I upload a picture?
In the posting form, below the Ad title field, you will find a button that will give you the option to attach one or more photo. If you click on the "Select Photos" button, a window will appear to allow you to select the files from your computer. Select the picture file that you want to upload and click "OK". This will upload the picture to your advert. To upload more pictures, click on the next "Browse" button. The picture that you place in the first location will be the main image for your ad and will appear next to your ad title in the category listings. OLX picture upload process is easy and you can upload up to 20 (Twenty) pictures per ad. The smaller the file size, the faster it will load. We suggest you upload pictures no larger than 200kb each. We have seen that ads with pictures are responded to much more than ads without pictures. Uploading pictures to OLX is FREE.
How do I edit a posting?
If you have an OLX account, you can edit your own ads through the "Active Ads" option in the My OLX section of the site. Please go to the item and click the "Edit" button. Once you have made and approved the changes, they will take effect immediately. You can repeat this process any times you like. If you don't have an OLX account yet, you can also access the same features using the link enclosed in the confirmation email you receive each time you post an item on the site, and with the edit button in the success page at the end of the posting process.
How do I change a picture?
You can edit a picture by following the steps to edit an ad. Once you are on the editing page go to the Photos section and click “Remove this photo” to delete a photo, and click “Add another photo” to upload a new picture.
How long will my posting appear on OLX?
Currently postings on OLX do not expire. It is your responsibility to remove your ad once you no longer need to advertise it.
How do I remove my posting?
If you have an OLX account and your item sells or you simply decide to remove it, you can end your ad in the 'Active Ads' option in the My OLX section of the site. Click on the box to the left of the ad(s) you wish to delete, and then click on the ‘Delete selected ads’ button. If you don't have an OLX account yet, you can also access the same features using the link enclosed in the confirmation email you receive upon posting an item on the site.
How do I save a posting to recall it later?
Go to the listing you are interested in and click the "Add to Favorites" button to keep track of it.
How do I share an ad on Facebook/Twitter/etc?
Once you have the ad open, look below the ad text. There is a column called “Share this ad”. Below that, is a list of places you can click on to share your ad; Facebook, Twitter, and email among many others.
Can I include personal contact information in my postings?
Yes. You can include personal contact information in your postings.
What are classifieds?
In the Classifieds-style ads, buyers will always contact the seller to negotiate, even if he/she puts a price.
How do I change my registration details?
If you have an OLX account, you can sign in to "My OLX" by clicking on the My OLX link located in the top right hand corner of the OLX home page and entering your username and password. This will take you to a page with your active listings. Look for the “Settings” section. Underneath, you will see a link that says "Change email address or password.” Click on this link and you will be taken to a page where you can edit your personal information, including your email address and password.
How do I pay for a featured ad?
You can feature your ad when you post an ad. After clicking on the “Post” button, you will be brought to a page that gives you the option to feature the ad. Click on the type of featured ad and the number of weeks you wish to publish it for. Then click the “Promote your Ad” button. You will be brought to a page that requests your credit card information in order to make the payment.
To feature an ad you have previously posted, go to My OLX, in the Active Ads section and click on the “Feature” button to the right of the ad you wish to feature. Click on the type of featured ad and the number of weeks you wish to publish it for. Then click the “Feature my Ad” button. You will be brought to a page that requests your credit card information in order to make the payment.
How do I check my messages?
There are two ways to read your messages when you have an OLX account. The first is to sign in to My OLX. Once you are signed in you’re in the My OLX screen, look for the header “Messages”. Underneath it is a link that will take you to your inbox, where you will see all of the messages you have received for your ads. If you click on the message, you will see the full message, and an option to Reply. The second method is by replying to the email that you should receive in your personal email account.
How do I answer a message sent to my Ad?
In order to answer a mail that was sent to you through one of your ads you can do so in two ways. If you have an OLX account, you can easily answer the message by going to My OLX < My Messages and by opening your message there is a box on the screen where you can type your reply. If you don't have an account, you can either go to My OLX and click on My Messages through the link in the first email you received when you posted the ad, or you can reply to the email directly.
As a buyer, how do I contact a seller?
Click on the "Reply to this Ad" button in the ad. Fill in the form with your contact information including your email address and the message you would like to send to the seller and press "Send".
How can I create a partnership with OLX?
If you want to submit many ads to OLX, you can send them to us in XML or CSV format. We will publish them for free and these ads will be updated regularly. You can find detailed information on how to do this at: http://sandiego.olx.com/feeds/specifications.html
Please contact our Partnership Department where you will be able to find more information on setting up your feed.
What are the things that potentially fraudulent sellers do?
- Ask you to wire money into on International account. Seller may ask you to send payment overseas and will only accept Western Union or another money transfer service (e-Gold).
- List an address that is different from the address on their item detail page.
- Recommend an unfamiliar escrow or payment service.
- Not be up front about the authenticity of items for sale.
- Will not provide you a verifiable telephone number.
- Try to convince you not to use payment services that offers protection (accepted services are those like Escrow.com and PayPal).
- Will repeatedly not answer phone calls or email.
- Continuously provide excuses about why you haven't received an item.
- Sell suspect copies of software, music, or videos.
- Refuse to give you a working shipment tracking number.
- Sell an expensive popular item at a suspiciously low price.
What should I do if I suspect a fraudulent seller?
If you feel there is a posting on the site that is false or fraudulent, please contact us at Legal Issues.
How can I avoid a fraud?
At OLX, we believe that buying items locally -- where you can inspect the item, meet the seller and pay at the time of pickup or delivery -- is the surest and safest way to make a transaction. For National or International items, we strongly suggest taking the following measures to protect yourself from fraudulent sellers:
- Use always OLX system
When communicating with sellers on OLX always do it using the "Reply to this ad" link on the page that details the item. An email will be sent out to the seller with your email address and all transactions will be conducted between you and the seller directly via our system. This way, if we are notified of a seller's fraudulent activity, we will have your contact information to reach you and provide you with the information. Since our marketplace is always free, there should be little incentive to take communications off line.
- Know what you are buying
Before making an offer to a seller, ask questions to learn more about what they are selling. You can send a seller a pre-sale note, and then make your offer when you are comfortable with purchasing the item. We also recommend checking retail prices and other members' prices for comparison purposes. Remember, if the price looks too good to be true, it probably is. In particular, be careful when purchasing high-tech goods, especially when prices are far below retail. Certain high-end items such as flat-panel displays, notebook computers, and cell phones are likely targets for scammers. In many cases, it's appropriate to ask for a serial number before sending payment.
- Ask for sellers address and telephone number
Once you have negotiated the price and have decided to buy the item, ask for the seller's phone number and call him/her up at a random time to make sure he/she is receiving the calls. Honest sellers should be able to provide this information. Having a seller who has a registered telephone number at the other end, will make the seller more trackable and hence less likely to be a fraud.
- Use a payment method with fraud protection
We highly advise AGAINST sending payment via wire transfer. Many fraudulent sellers only accept money by wire transfer, Money Gram, or bank transfer because buyers cannot get their money back and sellers cannot be tracked. If you are within the US and must pay by money order, we suggest using a postal money order. Postal money orders can be investigated, while other money orders cannot.
There are many forms of payment that provide protection for buyers. Credit cards, escrow services such as Escrow.com, C.O.D. shipping, and online payment services, offer varying degrees of protection.
- Track your shipment
Most major shipping companies allow people to track shipments while they are in transit. We recommended getting a tracking number from the seller, so you can monitor your item in transit. Make sure you are familiar with the seller's shipper, and be aware that there are fake shipping companies on the web which pretend to track a false shipment.
If you feel a seller is acting fraudulently, please contact OLX immediately at Legal Issues
What are things that potentially fraudulent buyers do?
- Ask you to wire money into their account.
- Buyer offers high-value (but fake) cashier's check in exchange for the item for sale. The value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item and the buyer asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service. Banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR . Scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money). We would strongly discourage you from wiring money.
- Recommend an unfamiliar escrow or payment service.
- Place large orders to be sent to a foreign location.
- Say they will pay you half of what's due before they receive the item, and half payment afterwards.
- Will not provide you a verifiable telephone number.
- Pay with an international credit card or cashier's check.
What should I do if I suspect a fraudulent buyer?
If you feel a buyer is acting fraudulently, please contact us at Legal Issues.
What kind of postings are forbidden / not allowed on OLX?
OLX prohibits the listing or sale of any items that are illegal, under any applicable law, statute, ordinance or regulation at local, state, provincial, national or international law. The following type of listings are prohibited on OLX site: Postings of any franchise, pyramid scheme, "club membership", multi-level marketing, distributorship or sales representatives arrangement or other business opportunity which requires an up front of periodic payment, requires recruitment of other member, sub-distributors or sub-agents, or pays commissions only (except for postings that make clear that the available job pays commission only and clearly describes the product or service that the job seeker would be selling, in which case such postings may be permissible).
Other items that are specifically prohibited include:
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Blood, Bodily Fluids and Body Parts
- Burglary Tools
- Counterfeit currency, stamps or coins
- Counterfeit Products
- Electronic Surveillance Equipment
- Embargoed Goods
- Government and Transit Uniforms, IDs and Licenses
- Illegal Drugs and Drug Paraphernalia
- All type of illegal services and products.
- Hazardous Materials
- Fireworks, Destructive Devices and Explosives
- Identity Documents, Personal Financial Records and Personal Information (in any form, including mailing lists)
- Items which encourage or facilitate illegal activity
- Lottery Tickets, Sweepstakes Entries and Slot Machines
- Obscene Material and all types of Pornography
- All type of offensive material
- Pictures or images that contain frontal nudity
- Police and Other Security Forces Badges and Uniforms
- Prescription Drugs and Devices
- Recalled items
- Stocks and Other Securities
- Stolen Property
- Tobacco Products
- Used Cosmetics
- Weapons and related items (such as firearms, firearm parts and magazines, ammunition, BB and pellet guns, tear gas, stun guns, switchblade knives, and martial arts weapons).